Tuesday, April 5, 2011

First Time in Korea!

Sorry, everyone that I've so lazy to post up any updates. I should try harder to make new posts consistently.

Here's a brief update since I've arrived in South Korea. I arrived in Incheon, Korea on February 6, 2011. From the airport, I met other TaLK scholars and TaLK coordinators. After waiting an hour after my flight, we took a bus to Jochiwon. The bus ride was about 2 hours. Why Jochiwon? Because our 3 week orientation was held there at Korea University, Sejong campus. It was a nice small campus. I'll post up pictures later.

After Jochiwon, I had a week orientation in Gyeongju, Gyeongbuk province with all the other scholars who are teaching in Gyeongbuk from February 23 to 28, 2011. I had a good time there too. We all stayed at a "4-star" hotel. I would rate it a 3 1/2 star hotel. The outside and lobby look great, but the rooms are so not up to the par of 4 star or even 3 star. Let me tell you my story. The room was a bit small, the beds were OK - bouncy and a bit hollow - the bathroom was OK but what made it worse was that there were baby ants - Ah...freakin' gross! Every time I went to the bathroom I would see them crawling around the edge of the door and wall and one time I saw them crawling on my toothbrush (on the edge of it). Ah!!!! I totally freaked out! I immediately turned on the water and washed them off my toothbrush. From then on I made sure I dried my tooth brush before I set it on the counter. The only thing I liked about my room was the location, because me and my roommate, Diana, were able to get wi-fi while others couldn't get a connection. The hotel food was good and OK. I like breakfast the best. It was sad to leave everyone but not entirely because I knew it would not be the last time I would see them. Sad that I had to leave before I could say bye to them. I think I was one of the first scholars to leave. I had to leave right away because the teacher that came to pick me up was on a schedule to get me and get me to the school and my dormitory.

So, I arrived in Gyeongsan, Gyeongbuk on February 28, 2011. After the Namcheon Elementary teacher and her husband picked me and Donia, my Korean co-teacher/TaLK Scholar, we went to eat at a Korean restaurant, then we went to Namcheon Elementary school and met some of the teachers including the Principal, and then finally they dropped us off at my dormitory. I was happy that I had help to take my two big luggage up 4 floors from the 2nd floor to the 5th floor. Great for me but sucked for them. I felt bad of course, but I felt very appreciative for their help. Why couldn't there be an elevator in my building? It's going to suck when I have to leave and take everything back down. I will try to get some help. So when I saw my room...I was shocked to find out that there were 3 rooms in my dorm apartment room. At least I only have to share my room with one other person and not three like some others. I was also glad to know that our dorm apartment room has its own bathroom. We have two bathrooms, one with toilet and shower hose sprayer and the second one with sink and shower hose sprayer, and then a sink outside the first bathroom. I'll post pictures later.

So, that's all for the first month of Korea. I will tell you all more about the second month and other details in my next blog.

No comments: